When - December 2-3, 2017 (Trainee Workshop on the Evening of December 1, 2017)
Where - Harrah's Reno, 219 N Center St, Reno, NV 89501
In proud partnership with the International Continence Society
Supported by a Generous Contribution from The Glickman Urological & Kidney Institute at Cleveland Clinic
SPR Trainee Workshop, December 1, 2017
Workshop Leader - Dr. Johanna L. Hannan, PhD, East Carolina University
"Preparing for Life Post-PhD: Navigating the Job Search"
SPR 2017 Main Meeting, December 2-3, 2017
Key Note Speaker - Dr. Aria F. Olumi, MD, Massachusetts General Hospital
"Personalizing Management of BPH"
Key Note Speaker - Dr. James A. Ashton-Miller, PhD, University of Michigan
"On Pressing Female Pelvic Floor Problems: A Biomechanics Viewpoint"
State of the Art Speaker & International Continence Society Lecturer - Dr. Christopher H. Fry, PhD, University of Bristol, UK
"Fibrosis and the Bladder: Implications for Function"
State of the Art Speaker - Dr. Hamid I. Akbarali, PhD, Virginia Commonwealth University
"The Guts of the Opioid Crisis: Role of the Microbiome"
Special Guest Speaker - Dr. Gene F. Civillico, PhD, National Institute of Health Common Fund, SPARC
"NIH SPARC: Mapping the Neural Control of Organ Function"
Special Guest Speaker and Patient Advocate - Ms. Sherrie J. Palm, APOPS Founder/CEO
"Comorbidities, Behavior, and Lifestyle: The POP Missing Links"
SPR 2017 Trainee Presentation Award Recipients
Best Student Oral Presentations
- Mr. Trevor C. Hunt (Medical Student) – “Short-term high fat diet induces increased detrusor contractility independent of mitochondrial dysfunction in C57BL/6N males”
- Mr. Nicholas Dias (Graduate Student) – “Assessment of aging related changes in the innervation of the external anal sphincter based on motor unit action potential quantitative analysis”
Best Research Fellow Oral Presentation
- Dr. Bernard Drumm, PhD – “The firing of intracellular Ca2+ waves in mouse urethral smooth muscle relies on a store operated Ca2+ entry pathway to sustain Ca2+ release from ER stores”
Best Poster Presentation
- Ms. Jennifer C. McMains (Undergraduate Student) – “Inflammatory cytokine interleukin 1 beta increases apoptosis in dissociated major pelvic ganglia neurons”
SPR 2017 Highest Ranked Abstracts
- Doreen Chang MA, et al., "Prophylactic Treatment Markedly Improves Bladder Capacity following Pelvic Radiation"
- Caroline A. Cobine PhD, et al., "Regulation of tone in the IAS by phasic events: role of L-type calcium channels and stretch"
- Marah Hehemann MD, et al., "Cavernous nerve crush injury increases apoptosis in a time dependent manner in the entire pelvic plexus"
- Shelby A. Powers BA, et al., "Pelvic neuron apoptosis leads to impaired bladder contractility in a rat model of prostatic radiation"
- Yi Wang PhD, et al., "Evidence of hyperglycemic memory following diabetic bladder disease"