When - December 5-6, 2016
Where - Marriott Charleston Historic District, 125 Calhoun Street, Charleston, SC 29401
Supported by Generous Contributions from The Glickman Urological & Kidney Institute
at Cleveland Clinic and Medtronic
Key Note Speaker - Dr. William C. de Groat, PhD, University of Pittsburgh
"Neural circuitry in the lumbar spinal cord contributing to bladder-sphincter coordination"
State of the Art Speaker - Dr. Kenton M. Sanders, PhD, University of Nevada, Reno
"Use of optogenetic sensors and actuators to study the roles of specific cells in intact visceral smooth muscles"
State of the Art Speaker - Dr. Arthur L. Burnett, II, MD, MBA, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
"Nitric oxide function and dysregulation in the lower genitourinary tract: Health and disease"
Special Guest Speaker - Dr. Tamara G. Bavendam, MD, MS, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
"Opportunities for Funding Cross-Disciplinary Pelvic Research"
Special Guest Speaker - Dr. Grannum R. Sant, MD, FRCS, FACS, Tufts University School of Medicine
“Transition from academia to industry - pathway and opportunities”
December 5, 2016
Welcome, Opening Remarks, Mission of the SPR
Session 1: Physiology & Pharmacology
Key Note Lecture - Dr. William C. de Groat, PhD
Oral Presentations - Abstracts S1A1-S1A6
Session 2: Muscle & Organ Function
Oral Presentations - Abstracts S2A8-S2A14
Session 3: Models & Methods in Pelvic Research
State of the Art Lecture - Dr. Kenton M. Sanders, PhD
Oral Presentations - Abstracts S3A15-S3A21
Session 4: NIH Funding and Career Paths
Special Guest Lecture - Dr. Tamara G. Bavendam, MD, MS
Special Guest Lecture - Dr. Grannum R. Sant, MD, FRCS, FACS
Poster Session - Wine and Cheese Reception
Poster Presentations - Abstracts PS36-PS48
December 6, 2016
Session 5: Neuroscience of Pelvic Organs/Floor
State of the Art Lecture - Dr. Arthur L. Burnett, II, M D, MBA
Oral Presentations - Abstracts S5A22-S5A28
Session 6: Novel Therapies/Diagnostics for Pelvic Disorders
Oral Presentations - Abstracts S6A29-S6A35
Closing Remarks and Awards
Preselected for Extended Podium Presentations
- Iain L. O. Buxton*, Craig Ulrich, Scott D. Barnet, Heather R. Burkin - "Altered S-nitrosation of contractile proteins underlies dysfunctional quiescence in human preterm labor"
- C. Zhang, Y. Peng, Alvaro Munoz, Timothy Boone, Yingchun Zhang* - "Motor unit number estimation of the external anal sphincter in rats"
- Xinhua Zhang, Jing Yin, Nirmala D. Kanika, Yuehong Tong, Guillermo Villegas, Arnold Melman, Michael E. DiSanto* - "Sphingosine-1-phosphate in vitro and in vivo modulates corpus cavernosum smooth muscle tone"
Selected as Best Presentations for Respective Podium Sessions
- Cody L. Dunton*, F. Monty Hughes, J. Todd Purves, Jiro Nagatomi - "In vitro evaluation of hydrostatic pressure on ATP release and caspase-1 activation in rat urothelial cells"
- Kathleen D. Keef*, Sean M. Ward, Caroline A. Cobine - "Evidence supporting a pivotal role for intramuscular interstitial cells of Cajal in the generation of pacemaker activity, phasic contractions and tone in the internal anal sphincter"
- Nicole Klee*, Robert S. Moreland - "Temporal changes of detrusor muscle function in a high fat diet and low dose streptozotocin diabetic model: the compensated and decompensated states"
- Danielle M. Salvadeo*, Mary F. Barbe, Nagat Frara, Ekta Tiwari, Alan S. Braverman, Michael R. Ruggieri, Sr. - "Determining integrity of the nerve-smooth muscle functional unit of the bladder after long-term decentralization"
- Yun Peng*, Jinbao He, Rose Khavari, Timothy B. Boone, Yingchun Zhang - "Aging effects on the central motor control of the external anal sphincter in women"
Selected as Best Presentations for the Poster Session
- Haeyeong Lee*, Byoung H. Koh, Robert D. Corrigan, Lauren E. Peri, Kenton M. Sanders, Toby C. Chai, Sang Don Koh - "Cyclophosphamide-induced overactive bladder via downregulation of relaxation factors in detrusor PDGFR-alpha+ cells"
- Ekta Tiwari*, Michel A. Lemay, Alan S. Braverman, Iyad Obeid, Mary F. Barbe, Michael R. Ruggieri, Sr. - "Monitoring nerve activity during bladder filling in a rat model"